Saturday, May 22, 2010

Baffin Bay – Mono-y-Mono


Fishing late May can be awesome.  The weather is still quite cool in the morning and the fishing can be smoking hot.  This was the case today.  I fished by myself on this video shoot---Mono-y Mono--- and headed to Baffin Bay by way of Bird Island.  Tony D, my main cameraman, was on board to catch the rod-bending action on High Definition with one of our Sony cameras. 





The day started out slow, I worked the back side of some barrier islands that had excellent structure but was unable to really get anything going.  I fished with live Croaker and I could not seem to find fish what wanted to feed.  We did have a full moon the night before and that can really make the early morning good but the bite can then taper off throughout the day.




Seemed to be the opposite for me.  I had only one fish for the first 3.5 hours.  Wow, that gets old…no feeding fish.  I decided to move further South and found that the Badlands was the destination for some hot rod-bending action.  I don’t really know if the first area picked up after I left, but the real payoff today was the Rocks of the Badlands.  Moving around and staying tenacious was the trick in finding fish of caliber and…………… in numbers.









Anglers Note:

Fish can feed more easily at night if the moon is full.  They can see their prey better and will be more active.  If you have fish coughing up shrimp as you land them at the boat, they are really full from foraging at night but if you are persistent, they will take your bait too.   Moving around is key, stay positive and keep on the hunt.  It really is a combination of a waiting game and a strategic process to find fish that are feeding and get the rod-bending action you came for.  Today, I alone caught 25 fish, all Speckled Trout. 

Baffin Bay was again………….., On Fire !!!!

As usual……………… Thanks for your time today and……………… I’ll see “You”…. on the water.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment